The Leaders Post

The Student News Site of Leaders High School

The Leaders Post

The Leaders Post

Celebration of Learning

On November 2, The library boomed with music and bustle, anticipation buzzing in the atmosphere. Food and drinks lined the walls of the room, pizza and soda passed to everyone. As students and teachers alike settled in their seats, the music cut; Saniyah as MC walked up to the podium, mic in hand. And the ceremony begins.

The sophomores were tasked with the assignment to write an assortment of 10 or more vignettes in the style of Cisneros’ book, The House on Mango Street. Afterwards, many students bravely stood up in front of a crowd of their peers and read a personal vignette of their choosing. 

The atmosphere of the ceremony was lively and encouraging. Ms. Phoebe Lichty, the School Librarian expressed a similar sentiment, stating, “One thing that struck me about the entire event was how supportive and respectful the entire grade was. I walked away loving 10th grade.” 

Ally Yung– a student who read out a vignette–shared the same feeling, commenting, “It felt nice being deep with my classmates, it was nice to learn about the people that surrounded me.” Llna, another student, stated how, “It felt deep and connective.”

When asked about the inspirations for their books and the chapter read, Llnna stated, “It was about my god brother and my love for him; it felt powerful.” Ally continued saying how “it felt like a way to express my frustrations,” and elaborated on her writing process explaining, “I found it pretty easy, for me I found a bunch of things I liked and just started writing, the ones I read had references to a documentary I liked and current events.”

When asked how it felt to read in front of a crowd she described it: “I was shaking, and nervous, stuttered and said like a lot. I feel more confident as I keep reading. I did it because it was funny to say a funny word out loud to a crowd.” Llnna shared a similar experience, revealing how it felt, “very nerve wracking and frustrating.” 

This experience highlights the importance of the Outward Bound program and its impact on the student body regarding community and growth. It bridges both outside and inside communities by providing students an opportunity to put themselves out into the world, as well as allowing a chosen group of individuals to have their books professionally published and sold.

Donate to The Leaders Post

Your donation will support the student journalists of Leaders High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to The Leaders Post