The Leaders Post

The Student News Site of Leaders High School

The Leaders Post

The Leaders Post

Abandoned: New York

New York is filled with abandoned buildings that haven’t been in use for years. These buildings have a lot of history behind them. Although these places are often shut to the public there are ways to get access to them to learn about these places and understand what they used to be used as.

An abandoned greenhouse of an old Long Island mansion that is now overgrown with plants with trees growing out the smashed windows. (Ewan C.)

The powerhouse of an abandoned psychiatric center which shut down due to its use of lobotomies and electro-convulsive therapy. (Ewan C.)
The remaining truck was left in the garage of the power house. (Ewan C.)
An old power plant north of Manhattan. This place has become a sort of sight to see in the neighborhood where people come to visit and take photos or film something. The drill rapper Jay Hound filmed a music video for his song Ukraine here. (Ewan C.)
A bed in a Staten Island hospital next to the big windows that look over the road below. (Ewan C.)
An abandoned theater built in 1915 in New Jersey; it was originally used for Vaudeville Productions until it was dedicated to films only according to untappedcities.com. This was the smaller theater in the building being stacked on top of another theater with over 4,200 seats being inside the whole building. This cinema was shut down in 1968 and has been in disrepair since. (Ewan C.)
This is an old NYPD station overgrown with trees and is home to a homeless guy living in one of the small rooms in the back of the building. (Ewan C.)
An old theater in a abandoned psychiatric center only closing around 20 years ago (Ewan C.)

Donate to The Leaders Post

Your donation will support the student journalists of Leaders High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to The Leaders Post