The Leaders Post

The Student News Site of Leaders High School

The Leaders Post

The Leaders Post

Forgotten History Hidden Below A MTA Station

Taken by Ewan C.

Below this active MTA train station sits an abandoned generator building that has sat unoccupied for years except by some stray cats that sleep throughout the front yard of this building. 

Taken by Ewan.C

The thin layer of paint peels off gradually overtime showing the building’s oldness. 

Taken by Ewan.C

This picture shows a way to measure the number of amperes flowing through all of the wires. (An ampere is a unit to measure the rate of electron flow or current in an electrical conductor

Taken by Ewan.C

A dial that shows how many kilowatts-hour the generators are producing. (A kilowatt-hour is 1,000 watts used for one hour. As an example, a 100-watt light bulb operating for ten hours would use one kilowatt-hour.)

Taken by Ewan.C

Access points for cables that enter a mini generator to move into the big ones. The ladder in the background was put there by other explorers exploring the building to gain access to the roof of the substation.

Taken by Ewan.C

One of the giant generators powering this substation. You can see that they are truly very big and that they can generate a lot of power over time.

Taken by Ewan.C

These boxes are used for holding all of the wires that are needed to make the electricity from the generators.

Taken by Ewan.C

A chain that used to be pulled to raise and lower a crane that sits along the top and can move along rails on the building.

Taken by Ewan.C

Buttons that used to be pressed every day just sit there building up dust in an empty room to never be used again. 

Taken by Ewan.C

An old work bench of whoever used to work in this substation. Completely trashed by the explorers passing through here rummaging around the old workspace. 

Taken by Ewan.C

The stray cats that have taken over the front yard of this abandoned building. They are fed by an old lady that resides across the street building them little homes and leaving out bowls of food and water.

Donate to The Leaders Post

Your donation will support the student journalists of Leaders High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to The Leaders Post