The Leaders Post

The Student News Site of Leaders High School

The Leaders Post

The Leaders Post

How Leaders High School Contributed to Black History Month

At Leaders High School, February is not just another month. It is a profound celebration of Black History Month, where the African American heritage is honored, celebrated, and explored.

Leaders High School embraces this annual observance through several different activities like decorating doors, hallways and teaching about the contributions of the Black community throughout history. Teachers at Leaders High School think it is important to honor the contributions that black individuals have made to our society since there are a lot of discoveries by Black individuals that need to be recognized.

Some ways Leaders High School contributed to the honoring and teaching of Black history was by relating the chemistry periodic table with Black History Month.  

According to Ms. Gethers, the Chemistry teacher, “It’s important to celebrate Black History Month because if you don’t then the past gets erased and then you always have to take the past into account so it doesn’t get repeated. It’s also important to honor contributors because they faced a lot of obstacles to accomplish it.”

The periodic table shows artists, scientists, entertainers, and inventors who have contributed to the history of African Americans. (Wajih C.)

Another way Leaders High School contributed in honoring and teaching Black History Month was by decorating hallways and classrooms.

This image shows famous quotes from Black individuals who took part in developing Black history. (Wajih C.)

Ms. Gethers suggested that “there should be a BSU (Black Student Union); a place for Black students to unite and share ideas and empower one another.” This is a step that Leaders High School could take to help students feel more comfortable.

In the words of Mr. Mears, “It’s not enough to just highlight it in February, it should be taught all year long.”

According to Ms. Gethers, it is important to celebrate Black History Month because if you don’t then the past gets erased and then you always have to take the past into account so it doesn’t get repeated. It is also important to honor contributors because they faced a lot of obstacles to accomplish it.

Donate to The Leaders Post

Your donation will support the student journalists of Leaders High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to The Leaders Post