The Leaders Post

The Student News Site of Leaders High School

The Leaders Post

The Leaders Post

The Most Scrumptious Spot in the Building

Matvii M.

Are you looking for a way to spice up your high school experience? Wanna meet new people who share your passion for food? You’ve found just the right spot to do both!

Just like a great recipe requires a mix of ingredients, the baking club brings together a diverse group of people. The baking club offers different food options every week on Thursdays, so everybody can find something to their liking. Some of the dishes they already made are: soft halal chicken, cheesy, bready khachapuri from Georgian bread, hand rolled sushi in collaboration with Japan club, and sweet, sugary mooncakes to celebrate mid-autumn festival which is a cherished tradition in many Asian cultures. Does anyone else get hungry just from reading the description of that, or is it just me?

Matvii M.

Sadly I wasn’t able to come for all the meals, only the day when they were making sushi. At the start of the class we separated into different groups. Two instructors led each group to explain the cooking process. That day we were supposed to prepare two dishes: steaming hot miso soup and fresh sushi. I was most excited for sushi of course, but also I was interested to see how the tasty miso soup is made. The instructors walked us through all the steps, explaining each detail in the fun cooking process, and answering each question asked. I really enjoyed that day, but the most exciting part was to finally eat the food we made.

The baking club welcomes people of all skill levels, from people who never cooked anything in their life before to people who basically live in their kitchen. At the start of each class, Jasmine, the president and facilitator of the baking club, goes over the norms. She does an overview of the ingredients and then you’re left to do everything with your group. In this club you really get to go at your own pace. A frequent visitor of the baking club, Ms. Barnes, says “you don’t feel like you have to keep up with expert like bakers.”

Matvii M.

You’re always welcome to the baking club to try new cuisines, have fun baking with your friends, and make memories.

Donate to The Leaders Post

Your donation will support the student journalists of Leaders High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to The Leaders Post