The Leaders Post

The Student News Site of Leaders High School

The Leaders Post

The Leaders Post

End of Semester Dates

It’s the end of the first semester! There are many important events coming up.

• Red - all students
  • Purple - juniors
  • Blue - seniors
  • There’s no school for freshmen and sophomores from January 23 to January 29, 2024

Roundtables

It’s almost time for roundtables. Roundtables are on January 19 and 22. Roundtables are when students present their work in a slideshow format to other students to show what they have learned in the semester. The schedule is adjusted so students have extended periods. For instance, teachers will plan if their classes happen at the same time and swap the students around. Each student will take a turn to present their work to a group of people. Then they’ll evaluate each other on the rubric to see if they have anything to improve on. This will give the lowerclassmen (freshman and sophomores) a chance to prepare for their mastery passages in their 11th grade and give the upperclassmen (juniors and seniors) a chance to present their work before their mastery presentation. 

ELA Regents

Our school does not take all of the regents exams. We replace the regents with mastery passages. However, in 11th grade, the students are required to take the English Regents in January. Their ELA teachers prepare them with a bunch of quizzes, writing pieces, and daily regents prep after school. The juniors will be taking their tests on January 23, 2024, in the morning! Eat a hearty meal and do not be late. 

Humanities Mastery Passages

As mentioned above, our school does mastery passages instead of Regents. Seniors have to present their English mastery passage this semester. They’ve been working on this for the past two months with the support of their teachers and panelists. The seniors will be presenting their mastery passages for about an hour on January 23 or 24. They will be presenting it to their panelist, which is chosen by their teachers, and a second panelist which could be a teacher or an outside guest. They’ll be evaluated on a subject-related rubric and given an outstanding (4), good (3), competent (2), or a needs revision (1). 

Math Mastery Passage

Juniors perform their Math mastery passage this semester. The topics could vary depending on their math course. They will be presenting their slideshow on January 25 or January 26 for an hour or so. They’ll be presenting it to their panelists and rated on a similar rubric as the humanities mastery passage. 

Awards Night + Art Showcase 

The Awards Night and Art showcase will be on January 25, 2024, in the library. This is a time to celebrate the students who earned Honor Rolls, Principal Lists, Leadership Awards, and more. We also celebrate the students with their artwork on display. 

Senior Pictures 

Seniors will be taking their senior portraits for the yearbook on January 26, 2024. There will be retakes but be present! 

No Classes for Students 

On January 29, 2024, there will be no classes for students because teachers will be at school having a professional development day. 

Spring Semester Begins 

The Spring semester will begin on Tuesday, January 30, 2024. Classes return with new schedules! Check on Jumprope.

Donate to The Leaders Post

Your donation will support the student journalists of Leaders High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to The Leaders Post